Sunday, December 13, 2015

Peace of Mind

On my way to work last week I got a flat tire. It wasn't the end of the world - thankfully for a very kind man's help. Previous to his assistance I was on the phone with my dad while trying to lift my spare tire out of my trunk.
I drove the rest of the way to work on the doughnut and also the trip home. I had to get it fixed by Monday, because I didn't want to over do it on my spare and have something even worse happen. I've been putting off getting two new tires, and of course the flat tire isn't one of those two.
My dad took my flat tire into a shop to get plugged - hoping that it would be salvageable. We found out that it has a giant hole in the side and is beyond repair. I searched around and found out that I can get a good deal on all four tires next weekend. My parents are able to switch cars with me until then, and the whole crisis is averted.

This little weekend recap is pretty calm, because of one factor. I've been saving extra funds for a new set of tires. I had over estimated what I would need and now am able to get the four I need. I'm glad I've put aside some extra funds, but it also has pained me to keep it around. I'd much rather put it extra toward my debt each month. The catch is that without saving extra each month, I would be using my emergency fund instead. To me, that is what the emergency fund is for
, but it's really supposed to be the "I lost my job" fund. Like I mentioned last month, that emergency fund means peace of mind in a true emergency, but it isn't an excuse to not plan ahead.

I will need new tires in about a year. I plan to save about $80 a month to make sure that next year I feel as confident as I do now. I don't see the point in saving to have more money, but I do value the peace of mind it offers in tough situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment