Saturday, December 19, 2015

Dress for Success

Ever hear the theory that you should “dress for the job you want.” As I sat at lunch eating leftover chicken parm, I saw a colleague wearing a zip up fleece and leggings. I work in a pretty relaxed corporate environment, so jeans are allowed every day of the week and tennis shoes and sweatshirts are for casual Friday.
The next person who came in was a team lead. She had on a black and grey skirt with some fake leather detail with a blouse and black blazer. What a difference between the two.
I'm probably a little in my financial mess, because I enjoy clothes. My favorite day of the week is Monday. I always pick out a special outfit for that day to help me get out of bed.
Obviously team leads makes more than someone on my level, but that should be a guideline or aspiration. Less expensive skirts and blazers are available that will look similarly professional.
I think that professionalism is worth the investment. Maybe only buy three pairs of dress pants, one skirt, and one dress. There's a week’s worth of professional clothes and no one will care that you repeat outfits in this type of setting.

I could certainly use the rest of this post to give tips and tricks for finding deals on clothes. I also could help you scour the internet - and my email - for coupons, but what I really want to emphasize how important professionalism is for a millennial’s career.

I want to make an investment in my future, and the best way to do that is to invest in myself. I’ve already acquired lots of debt for my education and now is the time to make it count. A professional wardrobe, communication style, and atmosphere will help someone move forward in his or her career.
When I first started my cube-job, I wanted to put up my favorite band posters and was excited for Christmas decorations. Now, I know how seriously the people who have cheetah print everything strewn all over their desk are taken. Plus, that’s a waste of money.

I want to be recommended for promotions and for educational opportunities. Adding more income to my bottom line is an important part of financial independence plan. I know that wearing actual pants instead of leggings won’t be the reason I’m picked over someone else, but I do know that my whole “brand” is what will help me succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment