Monday, October 26, 2015

The Next HGTV Star

Millennials aren’t buying homes. We just can’t. Maybe we want to, but with our low paying jobs and high loan payments it’s tough. If I could get a home for $300 a month, I’d still choose not to. I don’t want to add triple digits onto my Debt Avalanche spreadsheet.


If we’re not buying homes then we’re renting or staying longer with our parents. I’m in the latter boat. I have a bedroom at my own house, and also I’m renovating another next door.  My situation is pretty odd. My grandmother lives next to my house. Our family has lived in her home since they built the log cabin. I have loved that house since I’ve been a little girl.


My room at my house is wonderful. It is eclectic and bright. It also is absolutely tiny. In any other home built after 1915 my bedroom would be considered a walk-in closet. Next door at my Granny’s, her spare bedroom is massive in comparison. It has a whole wall full of closet space. I can actually fit two normal sized dressers, a chair, and a nightstand.


I wish I could show you my Granny’s taste and not feel terribly embarrassed. If you can picture the most bright, themed, artistic room you’ve seen, her decorating would be pretty close. I needed to redecorate this room on a budget.


My first step was to paint this room. It HAD to be done. It looked like a bright primary colored yellow Crayon exploded everywhere. I’ve been planning this renovation all summer, so when paint went on sale I bought two gallons at ACE. They were running a BOGO sale and I bought both for $30. Then, I had the spare money and put it right in the basement for safe keeping. I also bought some small tester cans of different colors of paint. These I bought for “accent” colors for furniture and accessories.


Next, more furniture. This room is pretty large compared to my shoebox. A bedroom needs a bed. A family friend recently came into a whole house worth of furniture. I bought a box spring, mattress, headboard, and frame off her for $70. Thankfully, my mom pitched in. I purchased a nightstand at the flea-market for $20 and a mirror for $12. We then repainted one dresser and Old English-ed another. Menards drawer pulls changed the entire look and only cost $15 more.

The base of the room cost us about $150. I’ve collected frames, posters, record albums to cover all the walls. I need to look into duvet covers, window treatments, and maybe a TV. Those would be realistic things to put on my Christmas list. I’d say my best advice for anyone redoing a room is, if you can, do it in a leisurely manner. Allow the time to find the deals, scope the sale racks, and check out the vintage pieces. You just might be on the way towards getting your own HGTV show.

No comments:

Post a Comment