Thursday, October 22, 2015

Buy One Give One

I will admit something to all of you. I am a young woman in her early twenties and I use birth control. I take the pills every day to help with “female problems” and also of course to prevent pregnancy. For some reason or another I had trouble sharing this post. I wanted to make sure everything was put the "right" way. I've edited this post for weeks. I've found a way to both save money and support those whose countries prohibit or don't support contraception.

I want to use this blog as a platform to advocate for a website called prjkt ruby. This web site and organization allows women to buy their birth control pills right online. That means no doctors visits and no waiting in line at the drugstore. For me, the pills were cheaper online since my insurance doesn’t cover it. The organization has doctors approve the orders, so major issues will be sorted out. I have been on the pill for about three years and I was able to pick out which option works best based on what I already used.  Otherwise there are many options and descriptions so women can make educated decisions. 
The pills are only $20 a pack and 25 cents goes to contraception for women in the developing world via Population Services International (PSI). How awesome is that?! Not only will I be saving money, but I’ll be donating towards a very worthy cause

I think the one thing people don’t talk about on here is how much birth control really costs for women - on multiple levels. Anyone ever ask how much a woman pays to be healthy and in control of her body? If she’s on the pill, like I am, it will depend on the insurance, but every month or three months she will be at a pharmacy picking up her prescription and attending an OBGYN yearly. My insurance won't cover it and the price is to $32 a month. I also have to go to my OBGYN to get the prescription renewed. Those both cost me about $634 a year. I know my situation isn't the same as everyone else's, but I'm sure there are others like me. 

This description is just the financial aspect. I could go into women’s rights and politics and how women are still being shamed for being victims of rape, but that’s not why I’m writing this. Although, it is extremely valid and needs to be continually talked about. 

I will be saving $406 this year, because I decided to go with prjkt ruby. As I was researching my options, I found myself also advocating for birth control as an over the counter option. Maybe you don’t agree and maybe that isn’t the solution, but women need to have the same accessibility and affordability as men. It’s just one more step towards taking back our bodies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment