Monday, September 7, 2015

Forget That it's Payday.

Last payday I treated my mom to apps and drinks. Kinda went over budget just because of that "payday" mentality.
 
 
If we blow funds on Friday every two weeks then where does that leave money for the other 28 days? I'm not saying I regret splurging on my mom for once, but this whole weekend I had a "payday" mentality. I HAD to reign myself in. What finally gave me a reality check was an email that said I'm already over $3 in one of my budget categories. It's the 7th people.
 
The only good thing about having bills is that at the beginning of the month is that my money has already been spent. Most people probably dislike early bills, but if I'm going to have to pay them anyway, at least I won't have many opportunities to blow my paychecks before hand.

Everyone budgets differently. I’m very “monthly” based in my calculations and payments. To curb my “payday” spending I may try out a bi-weekly savings plan. Since I have bills on the 2nd and the 9th, I typically calculate what I need to keep in my account to cover those payments. I want to make sure I can cover those before I transfer to savings. The thing is, I’ll be spending extra money I Just Got Paid during the middle of the month.
 
Right now, I could transfer about $450 to savings and be completely covered for the rest of the month. Debt reduction is my ultimate goal and I need to keep that in perspective. This month, I’m adding a $200 payment towards all of my PLUS loans and putting $200 in savings for an entire loan payoff. I can’t spend money if I don’t have it.

What do you find yourself splurging on after payday? How do you keep yourself away from your money?

**Feel free to leave a comment so we can support and learn from one another. It’s my favorite part of the financial blogging community.**


No comments:

Post a Comment