Friday, September 4, 2015

Don't Follow the Crowd into Debt

If I'm shopping alone, I can usually talk myself out of buying something. It seems that I tend to overspend when I'm with other people. I'm a social spender if that's a category. I only overspend when I go out for drinks or dinner with other people.

I still want to hangout with my friends and  spend time with my family, but I need to stay on budget. Some of the most fun activities are ones that cost the least. Here are a few of my favorite ways to save:

- Use local travel guides to help find cheap or free activities. Even if you're staying close to home they offer events you may not have considered. Festivals, music in the park nights, and art exhibits are often free in most communities.
- Happy Hour is a social butterfly's savior. Research local double bubbles or half priced apps. Split with a friend and the deals get even cheaper.
- It's a crazy idea, but consider eating before going out for the day/night. If you've already filled up at home, then you'll be less tempted to buy something unnecessary. 
- Check out historical landmarks. We all know the big ones like Niagra Falls and the Hoover Dam will cost you an arm and leg to see, but finding the historical marker for the first typewriter  in Milwaukee is completely free.
- Take local transportation or bike if you can. Some cities have better transportation systems than others, but if there’s a reliable bus or train, consider taking that instead of paying for the price of gas and parking. Also, there is typically a monthly or yearly pass that will save you money in the long run.

Lastly, Stay In. It’s so simple, but really ask your group if they would rather get dressed up, go out, and spend money, or watch Netflix, eat pizza, and actually catch up. I have a feeling the latter will be more popular than you may think.

No comments:

Post a Comment