Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Independence Day

Tonight, is one small step towards independence. I previously mentioned my spare bedroom in progress, and it is finally move in ready. I'm sleeping in my new full sized bed in a spacious room. I'm pretty excited. Hopefully by staying up to write this, I'll have burned off some of my nervous energy. I realize tonight, that the important part of paying off debt is the financial independence.

I never really grasped the concept before, or maybe it's taken on a new meaning for me. I'm very thankful to have family that has supported me during college and post-grad struggles. My parents weren't able to help out as much as maybe they would have liked with my education, but their constant loads of laundry and home cooked meals were just what I needed. I actually like spending time with my family, so getting away seemed to be unnecessary. 

Now, I'm at a place where I can finally start taking care of myself - at least a little bit. I feel pretty odd that I'm still excited to see my student loan payments withdrawn from my account. I know that is one payment down and a smidge closer to my goal. Once those payments are done I will have the freedom from debt and the ability to choose my own fate. I can decide if I should move closer to work or if the house needs improvements. Having the freedom to choose how and where your money and life is heading, is something that seems impossible while weighted down with debt. 

I challenge you to take one small step towards independence. I challenge you to put one load of laundry in the washer for yourself. I challenge you to call up your 401(k) provider for more information. I challenge you to put your change in your piggy bank instead of your wallet. 
Sometimes that little jolt of independence is all you need to get hooked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment