Thursday, November 12, 2015

Do It For Her

Being around other millennials has its perks. I’m finally with my people. Those who enjoy brie, wear sparkly necklaces, and listen to completely random music. Between the conversations of weekend low airfare and someone’s friend who is totally beautiful but just can’t find a boyfriend, our student loan debt came up.
The debt ranged from my $73,000 to the lowest at only $15,000. There were only a handful of people who chimed in, so to give an average would be inaccurate at this point. I thought about it for a while in my cube. How come I’ve never hear many people talk about this?

Whenever I’m around “adults,” I rarely, if ever, hear quotes of how much is left on their mortgages or cars. I think us millennials talk about our debt, because it’s staring us right in the face. We can’t get away from it, and the fact is most of us are in the same boat. If you’re just starting to get the repayment plan paperwork, resist the urge to throw it away. Instead, take a deep breath and put it somewhere safe. Take a day or two and then commit to making this debt go away.


Right in front of my computer at work is my little hand drawn debt chart. At the top, is my final goal and the year I hope to get there. I’m only on the first little line, but I will confidently tell you that I am so close to coloring in the next section that I have to hide my highlighters from myself. Seeing that chart reminds me of my bigger picture - why I’m working so hard, driving so long, and not buying a really cute pair of loafers. Whatever reminders and motivators it takes for you, put it all around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment