Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Spring Fever

March brings spring fever. For Valentine’s Day I picked up hyacinths for my granny and mom. I did this mostly to show them I’m growing up and finally able to give them gifts too, but also, because that smell made me yearn for spring.

Every season I get excited and want to buy things. In the fall, it’s warm scarves, pumpkin doughnuts, and mittens. In the winter it’s hot coco, sparkly ornaments, and Christmas gifts. In the spring, it’s flowers, nautical prints, and sandals. In the summer, it’s soft serve, baseball tickets, and boat shoes.
The hardest part of the change of seasons is resisting the urge to go out and buy all the things and foods I’ve missed for months. Here are a few ways I “resist the urge”:

  • Switch out your closet. When I go through my wardrobe for that new season I realize that I have a lot of pieces that I may have wanted to buy out in the stores. Most likely, I got a few new pieces for cheap at the end of the season and forgot that I even had them.

  • Split the splurge. If I have a hankering for some pumpkin doughnuts or soft serve, I’ll take my sister or friend along to split both the calories and the cost.

  • Change out your home accessories. This spring I’ll take off the extra fuzzy blanket and get out lighter linens. I know some people that switch out their paintings and extra items by each season. It keeps things fresh and can be done for cheap if stored in the basement or closet.

  • Allow yourself to have some fun. Going completely cold turkey means that when I finally go to Trader Joe’s, I’ll go home with five bouquets of flowers. This month I may buy a car wash instead of a drink out one night.

  • Get outside. My puppy loves to go to the park. He’s almost two and he loves to go visit his “friends.” A walk around the park with a dog that absolutely loves life is the best way to celebrate spring. A ride on the bike trail or seeing a local softball game are great ways to be in the season without spending a dime.


I know I will make a few impulse buys this month, but I also know why. I know that I want to get into the new season and celebrate. I’m so thankful to have friends and family to join me out in the (hopefully) nice weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment