Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Stressed Out

I drive for at the very least two and a half hours a day. I'm one of those people who flips between Elvis Duran and the Morning Show, music stations, and my own CDs. I have heard "Stressed Out" by twenty one pilots so many times I should start keeping a tally sheet going for the week.

I have a lot of time to think. Lately that means Adele hits home a little too much, but I cannot stop and think about this song too. "Stressed Out" is really a song about life before we had to be responsible. The time when we could choose "tree house homes" and be completely content, but now we have a choice. That choice is between irresponsibility and "adulthood" (or whatever that actually means). It says that, "Out of student loans and treehouse homes we all would take the latter." It is those memories that only our siblings and childhood best friends will remember. These lyrics, "Wish we could turn back time, to the good ol' days, When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out" show that people are really affected by their student debt. 

I keep wanting to ask twenty one pilots if they would really give everything back to return to that state of innocence. I wouldn't. It would be fantastic to be rid of my roughly $65,000 in debt, but I happen to be proud of my education and the job I now have. Yes, I wish my college years didn't have to set me back so much. Yes, I like to curl up in bed with my sister every now and then. Yes, it's great to rely on others for support. But the thing is, I wouldn't want to go completely back. If having my own experiences, thoughts, and developed critical thinking skills means that I have this student loan debt, then it's my job to get it paid off. This stress many of us feel can be eliminated, if we only keep a positive frame of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment