Thursday, August 20, 2015

Treat Yo' Self

Treat yo' self. This internet sensation is now a marketing tag line. It means if you have a bad day, buy yourself something. If you did great, buy yourself something. If you're bored, buy yourself something.

After a cruddy day, I want to buy myself anything to feel a little bit better. I just want to make myself feel good via a great deal or new (beautiful) Michael Kors tennis shoes. But then today I realized, will those shoes make me feel any better? No. 

In reality they will be another pair of shoes on my bedroom floor that I try to not step on in the middle of the night. The beautiful leather will be another payment on my credit card instead of a night out with friends. They will be another $45 down the drain (Those shoes seriously would be a steal with my discount!) rather than getting out of debt. 

I'll be the first to admit that I am highly susceptible to marketing and advertising. I will try a new restaurant just because of a catchy jingle and the nail polish that accentuates the hand models' perfectly manicured nails. 

Instead, let's choose the positive action. "Treat yo' self" by finally binge watching MadMen with your mom. Hitting that extra gym circuit. Just sitting outside with a good book. Whatever lifts your spirits and may actually add some value to your life is a much better option in the long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment