Monday, August 10, 2015

Cutting Costs at the Fair

Yesterday was a relaxing day off. My family spent their annual day at the Wisconsin State Fair. I love the cream puffs, side stages, and as seen on tv products. Here is how my family and friends keep costs down at the fair.
 
Share. I love to eat fair food. I will admit, that is pretty much the only reason I go. My problem is that there are so many options that I can’t make up my mind. One way I sample all the fried items on sticks is to share with my family or the group I’m with. By splitting cheese curds and mini doughnuts, you can eat just as much food for about half the price.
 
Pregame. When a domestic beer costs $6 and a craft beer $8, this is not the place to get wasted, but maybe that’s your primary reason for going to a fair. I suggest finding a local bar nearby that offers specials or even just regular priced drinks. These establishments are usually within walking distance or offer a shuttle to the event. In the long run, you get the desired effect without spending the arm and a leg required at the actual event.
 
Discount Booklets. Many events have a “discount booklet” you can buy for a few dollars that goes straight to supporting the event. Not only does this make sure your favorite summer pastime will be around next year, but it also can save you on food, drinks, and even services during the event.
 
Plan Ahead. Again, planning ahead can save you on admission and parking. Often parking will be cheaper during the day than at night, and the same goes for admission prices. Many fairs and festivals coordinate with business to offer free or reduced admission during the morning and early afternoon. Some of these promotions are as simple as bringing in canned goods for the food pantry.
 
Carry It In. Find out exactly what the carry-in policy is at the event. Bringing in approved umbrellas and sweatshirts could be money saving if bad weather disrupts the event. Also, some will even allow unopened water bottles on very hot days. Check out the specifics online before you go and see how to work within the lines.

Have any tips or tricks at the fair? What's your main reason for going? 

No comments:

Post a Comment