Sunday, July 26, 2015

Giving Back

One of my part time jobs is for a non-profit 501(c)3. The organization receives no financial help from the city, despite what most of the community thinks, and raises all of their own funds. They do this through a membership program, but primarily though many many types of donations. Working side-by-side with the volunteers and staff shows me how necessary it is to support our non-profits.

I enjoy reading all about the financial community's goals of getting out of debt and acquiring a vast amount of savings for a relaxing retirement, but don't all of these get stale after a while? Every now and then it's refreshing to read about the importance of giving back to our community. Helping those who don't even have the opportunity to budget, because their food comes from the local shelter.

One way I've tried to overcome my temptation to keep everything to myself is by having my donations to a non-profit be deducted right away from my paycheck. Many organizations offer this, so look into it if you don't already have a non-profit picked out. This way that money isn't even factored into my monthly income. It's making donating a priority. The percentage that comes out of my income is not large at all, but it's the thought and habit that counts.
What non-profits do you support? How do you make donating a priority? 

No comments:

Post a Comment