Saturday, September 23, 2017

Murphy Happens

This month was my attempt to get back on the budget train.

I only really use two categories for my cash. They are Gas and Spending money. Gas prices have gone up, the plumber sent us his bill, and Murphy showed his face.

I brought my phone and $20 to the flea market. I left with neither. I didn't put my phone in my pocket and I left it in our little wagon. I looked back, and my phone was gone. I traced and retraced my steps, but I knew it had been stolen in that 10 minute timeframe. 

I have set aside cash for the plumber, so that is taken care of. I have about $30 for gas money next week and I'm currently on the "E". Thankfully payday is on Friday. I might eek it out until then, but I may have to put one tank of gas on my credit card and pay it back right away. 

Regarding my phone, my family always keeps a stash of old phones. These are ones that work fine, but we upgraded and no longer need them. I decided to use an old one and it didn't cost me any fees to activate the new phone. I was pretty tempted to just get a newer phone instead, but it would cost too much. 

Overall, going cash has helped me keep in mind all the things that could come up. What's great is that how I budget allows for these unexpected things to happen. Plus, maybe I'm not the most "gazelle intense", but I also know that I can cover my emergencies by lowering my debt payment. I don't want to do that, but life and Murphy happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment